Monday, July 11, 2011

miss skeeter

I have started reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I really shouldn't start reading any book, as I should be studying, but I had the urge to get caught up in a story and whisked away. I've also heard many good things about this book. I am only about to start chapter 6 and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far. maybe that's because of a character named Miss Skeeter.

as a 6 foot tall female, I absolutely love the internal dialogue of this 5-foot-eleven Southern Belle. growing up, all I'd ever hear from other women was "ohh but you're model height" or "I wish I had your legs" blah blah. now don't get me wrong, I am in no way complaining about my God-given-gams, but I am just glad to read something a little more realistic and truthful about females my height.

"By sixteen I wasn't just not pretty, I was painfully tall. The kind of tall that puts a girl in the back row of class pictures with the boys. The kind of tall where your mother spends her nights taking down hems, yanking at sweater sleeves, flattening your hair for dances you hadn't been asked to, finally pressing the top of your head as if she could shrink you back to the years when she had to remind you to stand up straight.....

Mrs. Charlotte Phelan's Guide to Husband-Hunting, Rule Number One: a pretty, petite girl should accentuate with makeup and good posture. A tall plain one, with a trust fund." (Kathryn Stockett, The Help)

this is going to be a great read, I can tell.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

your book sounds good and makes me want to get wrapped up in a book again! ash-your blog is awesome!