Thursday, June 30, 2011

nostalgia

this weekend I am traveling a hop, skip and a jump to celebrate my best friend from childhood and her soon-to-be marriage. being the sentimental sap that I am, I have been looking through old notes and pictures and feeling a little ache in my heart. when you've been friends with someone K through life, you have more memories than you can actually remember.

I've been thinking about this a lot. in a month and a half I will be giving a speech at her wedding. you would think that going through life side-by-side with someone for 24 years would make writing a blurb in their honor quite easy. false.

how do you convey the absolutely huge impact someone has had on your life? how do you communicate all the memories? all the times she was there when I was a blubbering mess over some guy or silly situation? how do I translate summer bike rides, movie nights, charades, days at the lake, school projects, school dances, middle school crushes, slumber parties, graduation parties, college adventures, late night walks and talks, and a friendship that has now spanned several states, into something a room full of people can understand?? I wish I could relay the meaning in lying on the floor and giggling until our sides hurt. how we never lived further than a walking distance away from each other until we were 22. how that didn't change anything.

it feels like just yesterday we were rollerblading around our subdivision. just yesterday we were jumping in the leaves and staring up at the clouds. just yesterday we were riding the bus home from school and listening to "daydream believer". just yesterday we were making puffy paint shirts for homecoming week. just yesterday we were walking through the drive-through at taco bell in our little college town at 2 a.m. and just yesterday that I was confessing an embarrassing story to her.

...except that really was just yesterday.

No comments: